Logo

Catch the Trading Post weekdays 10:30-11 on 92.1FM
Join JR Drivng you home Monday - Friday 2-7 on WKUL 92.1 FM
Join Sam Alex with Taste of Country Nights on WKUL 7-12
Join Big D and Bubba 4-9 in the morning on 92.1 FM
Quick Links
Sports
Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(ST. PAUL, Minn.) -- The NHL's Minnesota Wild will go wild for Prince this coming season.

The hockey team announced Tuesday that beginning with the 2016-2017 season, it will use his song "Let's Go Crazy" when it scores a goal during home games at the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul.

The Wild, which had been using Joe Satriani's "Crowd Chant" as its goal song, said the change was made in response to feedback from a survey taken by season ticket holders this summer.

“Our in-arena experience is designed for the fans, so it's great to be able to show them we take their feedback to heart,” John Maher, vice president of brand, content and communications for the Wild, is quoted as saying in a story posted on its website. “At the same time, it's our privilege to celebrate an iconic hometown artist that clearly has had an incredible impact on our community and the world.”

Prince was found dead in his Minneapolis-area home on April 21. It was determined that the singer, who was 57, died from an accidental overdose of the powerful painkiller fentanyl.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

ABC News(NEW YORK) -- Olympic gold medal-winning gymnast Dominique Dawes traded the balance beam for a hard hat recently as she helped renovate a Boys & Girls Clubs of America center in New York's Harlem neighborhood.

Dawes, a mother of two, is a spokesperson for the Boys & Girls Clubs of America, which provides after-school programs for young people.

"Fifty-thousand kids are truly going to be positively impacted around the U.S.,” said Dawes, who recently appeared on ABC News' Good Morning America as an analyst during the Rio Olympics. “They are going to be introduced to sports and extracurricular activities, there's going to be gaming."

The 36-year-old Harlem club given a refresh by Dawes and other volunteers is part of a special $2.5 million initiative called “Renovation Across the Nation.” As part of the program, one Boys & Girls Clubs of America location in every state will receive a $50,000 grant from Lowe’s, a GMA sponsor, to refresh, enhance and expand club facilities.

Expansion at the Harlem club will bring a new 10,000-square-foot facility to house a teen center, counseling spaces, a digital media lab and a new kitchen.

Lowe’s and the Boys & Girls Club of America have improved 130 locations across the country since 2009.

Debora, 16, of Florida, was the winner of an art contest whose mural will be placed in all 50 of the renovated clubs.

"I just hope it shows other artists like me they have the ability to do a lot of things,” the teen told ABC News.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

Allen Kee / ESPN Images(DARLINGTON, S.C.) — Kyle Larson is the latest Sprint Cup driver to unveil his throwback paint scheme for the Darlington race on Labor Day weekend.

The image, released Tuesday on social media by Larson and Chip Ganassi Racing, shows a red-and-white No. 42 Chevrolet that pays homage to retailer Target's first entry in motorsports, in the IndyCar Series in 1990.

A number of other drivers have already revealed their Darlington throwback schemes on social media.

Darlington Raceway will host the Bojangles’ Southern 500 on Sept. 4.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — Here are the latest scores and winners:

INTERLEAGUE

Pittsburgh 7, Houston 1
Baltimore 8, Washington 1
Cincinnati 3, Texas 0
Kansas City 1, Miami 0
Chi White Sox 9, Philadelphia 1

AMERICAN LEAGUE

Oakland 9, Cleveland 1
N-Y Yankees 5, Seattle 1
Toronto 7, L.A. Angels 2
Boston 2, Tampa Bay 1
Detroit 8, Minnesota 3

NATIONAL LEAGUE

Milwaukee 6, Colorado 4
N-Y Mets 7, St. Louis 4
Atlanta 7, Arizona 4
L.A. Dodgers 9, San Francisco 5
Chi Cubs 5, San Diego 3

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

Allen Kee / ESPN Images(DALLAS) -- Texas Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton has been placed on unconditional release waivers.

Hamilton, 35, only played 50 games for the team in the past two seasons after suffering from knee injuries and undergoing surgery for his left knee in June.

He was placed on the release waivers once he was activated from the 60-day disabled list. The move opens the possibility for him to rejoin the team on a minor league deal in 2017.

"I'm hopeful that if he's healthy and our roster is in a spot where we'd still like to have him back, we can work it out," Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said in a conference call according to ESPN. "But that's still a few steps down the line.

"We've talked about it for a period of time, and he understands why we did it."

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

Travis Bell / ESPN Images(NEW YORK) -- Heisman trophy winner Tim Tebow's foray into baseball is about to become more real.

On Aug. 30, he is expected to hold a workout in Los Angeles for Major League Baseball teams, a source tells ESPN. So far, more than 20 clubs have said they will be in attendance, another source says.

Tebow, 29, has been working on his baseball skills in Arizona and Los Angeles for nearly a year, according to ESPN. He hasn't played the sport full-time since 2005 in Florida, where he was an all-state baseball player in high school.

Tebow was drafted from the University of Florida in 2010 by the Denver Broncos in the first round. He last played for the National Football League in 2012 with the New York Jets. He later trained with the New England Patriots and Philadelphia Eagles but was cut from both teams before the regular season began.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

Alex Livesey/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- Forget Olympic Village dating apps. Gold medalist Aly Raisman managed to score a date with an NFL star over Twitter.

After a proposition by Oakland Raiders tight end Colton Underwood, Raisman agreed to a double date with fellow Olympian Shawn Johnson and her husband Andrew East, who also plays for the Raiders.

It all began with a video on Yahoo! Sports, during which Underwood tells Raisman that if she's "ever in San Jose and wants to go on a double-date with me and Andrew and Shawn, let me know."

Raisman, 22, said later in the video that Underwood, 24, is "very cute" and that she would go on a date with him. The conversation then continued on Twitter.

"@Colt3FIVE thanks for the sweet video.... looking forward to meeting you :)" Raisman tweeted at him. He replied, "Anytime! Looking forward to meeting you too. Safe travels back, see you soon!"

@Colt3FIVE thanks for the sweet video.... looking forward to meeting you :)

— Alexandra Raisman (@Aly_Raisman) August 21, 2016

Anytime! Looking forward to meeting you too. Safe travels back, see you soon! https://t.co/vWRhhqR5up

— Colton Underwood (@Colt3FIVE) August 21, 2016

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

VASILY MAXIMOV/AFP/Getty Images(MOSCOW) — World sports' highest court of appeal has upheld a ban barring Russia entirely from next month’s Paralympics in Rio, maintaining an unprecedented punishment for the country's state-supported efforts to conceal doping by its athletes.

The Court for Arbitration in Sport (CAS), based in Lausanne, Switzerland, issued a statement saying the court had confirmed the decision by the International Paralympics Committee to keep Russian Paralympians suspended from the event because of Russia’s failure to meet its anti-doping obligations.

The International Paralympics Committee (IPC) imposed the ban in July after an investigation commissioned by the World Anti-Doping Agency found new proof that Russia’s sports ministry, aided by the country’s F.S.B. security service, had created a system for concealing doping by its athletes across virtually every Olympic discipline and several Paralympic.

At the time, the IPC’s president, Sir Philip Craven, said Russia had “catastrophically failed” its Paralympians and said he was “disgusted” by what he called Russia’s “medals over morals mentality.”

In Tuesday’s statement, the court said it found the IPC decision was “proportionate” and did not violate any procedural rules. The court also said it had not found any evidence contradicting the facts on which the decision was based.

Russia's sports minister, Vitaly Mutko denounced the ruling, saying it was "more political than judicial." "There is no reason at all for the refusal, but it's happened," the Russian state news agency TASS quoted Mutko as saying.

The IPC's president, Crave, said he welcomed the ruling: "Today’s decision underlines our strong belief that doping has absolutely no place in Paralympic sport, and further improves our ability to ensure fair competition and a level playing field for all Para athletes around the world.”

Russia’s entire Olympic track and field team had already missed the Olympic Games in Rio, after it was barred over the same doping cover up. At one stage, it had appeared that Russia would also be entirely banned from the Olympics, after WADA recommended the International Olympic Committee ban all Russian athletes over the doping scheme.

But the IOC eventually controversially chose to allow some Russian athletes to take part provided they passed a vetting process.

Eventually, 278 Russian athletes travelled to Rio for the Olympics, which wrapped up Sunday, with Russia winning fourth place in the overall medal table, taking home 56 medals.

This is the first time a country has been barred entirely from the Paralympics over doping. The ruling follows a months-long saga that saw an avalanche of allegations fall on Russia that it had sought to conceal doping among dozens of its athletes over many years, including by medal winners.

The WADA investigation by professor Richard McLaren in July found that Russia had established a “fail-safe system” that allowed it to pre-screen doping tests by its athletes and to then make selected positive samples disappear. McLaren’s report was based on evidence from the man who once ran the cover-up system, ex-director of Moscow’s anti-doping lab, Grigory Rodchenkov, and found that Russia had used the system on dozens of athletes, including the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics.

Those findings built on evidence from earlier WADA reports and claims made BY other whistleblowers to investigative journalists that Russia was allowing doping on an industrial scale.

Following McLaren’s report, the International Paralympics Committee said it had found at least 27 occasions when samples of Russian Paralympians had been interfered with across eight disciplines. The committee said at least 11 of these samples had been concealed.

But these figures were a fraction of the hundreds of samples that were found to have been interfered with among Russia’s Olympics teams, the majority of which were eventually allowed to compete.

Before Tuesday’s ruling, some had called for Russian Paralympians to be allowed to participate in Rio. The respected Russian investigative paper Novaya Gazeta, known normally for its highly critical coverage of the Kremlin, issued an appeal for an international campaign for Russia’s Paralympians to take part.

The IPC president, Craven, although welcoming the ruling, said Tuesday it was still not a cause for happiness but noted he believed a ban was necessary:

"Although we are pleased with the decision, it is not a day for celebration and we have enormous sympathy for the Russian athletes who will now miss out on the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games."

"It is a sad day for the Paralympic Movement, but we hope also a new beginning,” Craven said in the statement. “We hope this decision acts as a catalyst for change in Russia and we can welcome the Russian Paralympic Committee back as a member safe in the knowledge that it is fulfilling its obligations to ensure fair competition for all.”
 
Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

Allen Kee / ESPN Images(FOXBOROUGH, Mass.) — The New England Patriots are playing pre-season games, but without one of their key players.

Less than three weeks away from the start of the regular NFL season, the Patriots announced they excused four-time Super Bowl Champion Tom Brady from practice for "personal reasons."

Watch the report from ABC news:


ABC Breaking News | Latest News Videos

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — Here are the latest scores and winners:

INTERLEAGUE

Houston 3, Pittsburgh 1
Baltimore 4, Washington 3

AMERICAN LEAGUE

Boston 6, Tampa Bay 2
Cleveland 1, Oakland 0
Seattle 7, N-Y Yankees 5

NATIONAL LEAGUE

Milwaukee 4, Colorado 2
Arizona 9, Atlanta 8
Chi Cubs 5, San Diego 1
L.A. Dodgers 18, Cincinnati 9

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments




Weather


On Facebook


Mobile Apps


On Twitter
LinkedUpRadio Envisionwise Web Services