* It's the first day of school across the county. The school system is now under the direction of Dr. Craig Ross who took over in July when Billy Coleman retired. Dr. Ross had to deal with the issue of putting portable classrooms at Garden City Elementary after the main building was reported unsafe after an inspection last week.
* Cullman City School system is also in session for the first time of the new school year. Construction continues on the campus of Cullman High School. Residents are advised of traffic issues at all schools in the city during the morning hours and after 3:00 when schools are released.
* Arab High School began classes Monday with a temporary staff in its administration. Assistant Principal Brad Cooper is handling duties until a new principal is selected by the school board. This situation was created last week when Principal Michael Douglas resigned and was named Superintendent of Oneonta City Schools.
A permanent replacement could be announced by the board early next week.
* The Falkville Town Council has accepted a bid of $33,400 from ICS Steele to install an emergency generator at a sewer lift station at the Summerford Nursing Home on Highway 31. The generator will serve as a backup source of power in case of a power outage. The project should be completed within a week after the contract is signed this week.
* Vinemont Eagles are practicing hard to get ready for the 2014 season. The Eagles lost their final seven games of 2013. Alan Scott enters his fourth season at Vinemont with the Eagles having a new look on offense and defense. The Eagles host Good Hope in a jamboree next Thursday then play at Addison Aug. 29 in the season opener.
* Auburn basketball coach Bruce Pearl will address the Alabama High School Athletic Association basketball coaches during a mini clinic scheduled for Sept. 3. This is the first of a series of clinics coordinated by the AHSAA. Bowling, which will become a sanctioned sport by the state, will have its clinic on Sept. 17. Other clinics will take place at later dates.
YOUR HOME OF THE BRAVES IS 92.1 FM. TUNE IN TONIGHT AT 6:00 FOR GAME THREE OF THE BRAVES AND DODGERS FROM TURNER FIELD.